This trail isn’t a hike so much as it is a walk. The trail itself is a paved road, and there is virtually no elevation gain, so you can simply stroll along without getting winded. Some fit individuals jog, bike, or power-walk, but I take my time (a.k.a. am lazy) and can complete this trek in exactly one hour. For most of the walk, you have a chain-link fence with barbed wire on top to one side of you and a hillside to the other, so there isn’t very much to see; however, once you reach the dam, the walk becomes worth it. It is breathtaking and quiet, and I am always surprised that there is a lake so close to the hustle and bustle of Hollywood.
Dogs aren’t allowed, which keeps the path clean—although I have encountered a rule-breaker or two walking their pooch. In addition to the occasional dog, I’ve seen squirrels, birds, turtles, bugs, and deer. In fact, I once had a mother deer and her three babies decide to follow me down the road for several minutes when there was no one else around. It was amazing/scary all at the same time; I was super close to these beautiful creatures, yet I wouldn’t have had anywhere to run if mama deer had decided to attack me for being so close to her young (which wild animals are sometimes known to do).
Unfortunately, the weather has been so hot lately that I haven’t had the chance to walk as much as I would have liked. Plus, this outing takes about 1 hour 45 minutes total--when you factor in driving/parking--and it is rather hard for a busy adjunct like myself to find that kind of spare time. But, maybe writing this blog will motivate me to get back over there soon.
************************************
This was our first glimpse of the reservoir on our very first visit. It was sprinkling on and off that morning, so the landscape looks less-than-sunny.
Here’s the view from the dam on my second visit. Boats aren’t allowed on the water, so it is always serene and glassy. In case the picture is too small for you to see it, the Hollywood Sign is across the way on the hillside.
This picture gives you an idea of what’s on either side of you for most of the walk. (Forgive my dorky socks!)
Finally, this is the official website for the reservoir: http://www.hollywoodknolls.org/hollywood_reservoir.htm
*****************************************



After reading your first blog I took up hiking and I can honestly say it has been an incredible new hobby of mine.I'v been to a few places like Veterans Park and Sand Canyon but i'm looking forward to hiking up the Hollywood Trail.
ReplyDelete