25 September 2011

Blog #3 - Eight Things

This week, since 8 is my lucky number, I have decided to tell you about eight random things that I enjoy:


  1. Dill Pickles
 Although they aren’t my favorite food—that title goes to pasta—I absolutely love dill pickles.  I don’t know what it is about them (the saltiness maybe?), but I crave these suckers sometimes.  It is kind of gross how quickly I can eat a whole jar.  And, the weird thing is that I absolutely despise sweet pickles.



  1. The Duckbill Platypus
Since elementary school, the duckbill platypus has been one of my favorite animals.  These adorable critters live in eastern Australia and Tasmania, and—like echidnas—they are monotremes (mammals that lay eggs).



  1. Pajamas
 When I am in my apartment, I am in my pajamas.  I wake up in the morning, shower, and put on clean pajamas.  Then, if I have to go to work or run errands, I change into “regular clothes,” do what I have to do, and put my pajamas back on as soon as I walk through the front door (even if I am planning on heading back out later).

  1. The Catcher in the Rye
When I was 14 years old, I read Catcher for the first time.  I was your typical teenager (alienated, angsty, and hormonal), so I really connected with Holden Caulfield.  Plus, it didn’t hurt that Catcher includes swearing/sexuality/smoking/etc. and is one of the most frequently challenged texts (both of which appealed to the rebellious adolescent in me).  As an adult, I have revisited this work a few times, but it doesn’t resonate as strongly since I am no longer a member of Holden’s demographic.  [I’ll have to do a completely book-related blog entry one week.]





  1. Target
My little paychecks almost always get spent at Target.  They have everything that a person could ever need (and it doesn’t hurt that there is one right next to Compton College).

  1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
I was OBSESSED with this show from day one.  Keep in mind that Buffy came out before the days when everyone had Tivo/DVR (1997-2003), so I was forced to plan my life around when the episodes aired each week.  I can honestly say that I only missed two episodes in seven seasons.




                                                                                        7. Italy
    Italy is the place that I’d most like to visit.  As far as I know, almost all of my ancestors have been in the US since colonial times; however, back in the 1890s, one set of great-great-grandparents came here from Italy and settled in New Jersey.  Someday, I hope to do a bit of genealogical research in order to find out more about the “pepperoni” side of my family (as my dad calls it).


    1. Music
    Just saying “music” is kind of general, but I love listening to music (both at concerts and while singing along loudly in my car).   A few of my favorite artists include The Beatles, Elton John, Cat Stevens, and Queen—in addition to other more contemporary singers/groups.


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    3 comments:

    1. Believe it or not we have a lot in common I too like dill pickles and hate sweet pickles I don't think I could eat a whole jar of them though. Platypuses are adorable, I'd live in pajama pants if I could, and I do have many pairs, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of my favorite shows, I don't care what anyone says Spike and Angel are gorgeous. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books I felt just like Holden and still do sometimes,lost. Italy is the next place I want to visit besides Germany and I would probably live there, besides wanting to live in London or Germany, considering my great grandma was part Italian. Also I too love the Beatles they are one of the many bands I like, plus I like Elton John's song Rocket Man, that should be my anthem only it would say Rocket Woman.

      ReplyDelete
    2. As I was reading your blog I could relate to the fact that you don't like sweet pickles... I think their gross.. Id prefer the other pickles because I love the sour taste. And when I get home I also like to wear my pajamas because I too feel super comfortable in them... And One of my dream vacations is to go to Italy or go to Rome to see the Vatican, and all the pretty churches. I should check my horoscope today to see what my lucky number is... Oh and I almost forgot to say how I used to always listen to the Beatles when I was 15. I used to download free music and create my own Cd's with my favorite Beatles songs.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Cool I love Target! What don't they have right? There little dollar section also always has the best little stuff. I can be at Target for hours, it's crazy, but I heard thats a horrible company to work for. Anyway, I dont know if it's just me or if my blogging group is also having trouble getting into Sarah's blog. I have been trying and it keeps telling saying Identity Page.

      ReplyDelete